The Magdeburg Coat of Arms of the Austrio-Hungarian period.


The emblem of the Polish (1920 - 1939) period was "Pilawa" in an azure field there was an argent five-pointed cross

The first mention to this town refers to the XIV century. The name has its origin from a ford in a river crossing.

Since 1704 the town was the property of the Potocki family.

Their family's Coat of Arms was the Coat of Arms of the town - in an azure field there was an argent five-pointed cross. It shield was a symbol of the Austrio-Hungarian period.    

Village map of the area

Short Description/History

Brody is located in the Lwow District, this is in the foothills of the Carpathian mountains. The name Brod(y), means "ford" and it translates to the fact that it is near the Styr River and it was built where the river is(was) narrow and shallow. 

Brody was originally named "Lubjeszow" it was founded by a Polish Nobleman named Zolkiewski in 1584 and obtained the status of a city within the same year.  Stanislaw Koniecpolski a Polish military leader fortified the town in 1633 to defend it against the frequent Tatar invasions.  Polish magnates from the Sobieski and Potocki families owned the town for a number of years.

When of the Kingdom of Poland was partitioned in 1772, Brody came under Austrio-Hungarian Empire as a city in the Austrio-Hungarian Crown Province of Galicia.

From 1919 to 1939 Brody was part of the Second Republic of Poland. 

In September 1939 the Soviet Army invaded Poland and the town became part of the newly established Ukrainian Soviet Socialistic Republic.

At the end of World War II, the lands of Eastern Poland which included Brody became part of the Ukrainian SSR. Which in turn upon it's downfall became the current Ukraine.

     Demographic Data as at 1921

Habitable Buildings - 1.215

Population Breakdown









Brody County Villages


Copyright 2003; Paul Havers