Brzezany

 

The Coat of Arms of the Austrio-Hungarian period looked like a per fess shield with gules and azure shield. In the upper part there was an argent deer courant to the dexter side

 

The Coat of Arms of the Polish (1920 - 1939) period looked like a per fess shield with gules and azure shield. In the upper part there was an argent deer courant to the dexter side

Short Description/History

The first recorded written evidence of Brzezany is from around 1375. Its territory was part of the Kiervan Rus, Kingdom of Galicia and later of the Rus Kingdom compromising of Galicia and Wolynia. In the middle of the 14th century Galicia was conquered by Polish King and was then under Polish rule.

In 1530 the King of Poland gave Brzezany to his vassal Sieniawski and the town adopted the Magdeburg Law. From 1534 to 1554 Sieniawski built the town's fortress.

Brzezany remained as part of the Polish kingdom until the Partition of 1772. Then after the partition of Poland it was incorporated into Austrian Kingdom. It became the part of the Crown province of Galicia (Galizien).

In 1867 when Austria became a Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary Galicia retained its status as an Imperial Crown province.

After the collapse of Austrio-Hungarian Empire in 1918 it became part of Poland until September 1939 when all of Ukraine was occupied by the Soviet Union thus becoming part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.

The town is situated on the both banks of the Zlota Lipa (Golden Lime Tree) River.

The town is surrounded by hills from all its sides.

 

Return