Dolina

The Coat of Arms of the Austrio-Hungarian period

 

The Coat of Arms of the Polish (1920 - 1939) period

 

On the Coat of Arms of the of 1870 in an azure field there is a picture of five white furnaces of salt. On a seal of 1888 a shield is crowned

 

The Coat of Arms of the of the Polish (1920 - 1939) period is decorated with a crown and an ornamental cartouche.

 

Short Description/History

The town first appeared in IX - X centuries. In 1525 the Magdeburg Right was given by a Polish King. On the seals of 1629, 1695 and 1782 there is a picture of "four balls" on a shield. There is no reliable explanation about the picture.

The initial historical information on the town date back to King Wladyslaw Jagiello, who according to the legend wrote a deed with a few towns to his brother Swidryllo he apparently wasn't that interested in the offer and they shortly became the possession of Prince Fedor Lubartowicz. After the death of Jagiello the new owner of Dolina was Kasztelan Michael from Buczacz who after some time gave the town to Nobleman Jurdze. The town became the property of Mikolaj Bieskowski after it was used as a guarantee in money lending in 1454, who in turn gave half of it to a Noblewoman Czarnota. According to the details kept the next owner between the years of 1470 to 1478 was Jurasz Chodorowski. From the chronicles and documents of the XVI century we can deduce that King Zygmunt II August permitted a market to be established in the town and the townspeople were given the right to manufacture and selling of salt and alcohol. The Markets were traditionally hosted six times a year, 2 January, 11 February, 1 May, 5 June and  3 August, and on Mondays after the first Sunday in September.

In the XVI century Bogdan Chmielnicki and the Tatar's destroyed part of the town.

On 19 December 1886 a great fire broke out in the town destroying 320 buildings, leaving 2000 persons without a roof over their heads.

In 1919 Dolina was taken over by the Ukrainian forces, but a few months later those forces were ejected from the town and the town returned to it's rightful place in Poland.

The town had 1430 inhabitable buildings and 8766 inhabitants, the breakdown was, 2945 Poles, 2014 Jews, 522 Rusins(Ukrainians) and 5 Germans.

Dolina area villages

Return

Copyright 2003; Paul Havers