In the XII century it was the capital city of the Kingdom of Halicz, later it was the seat of power of the Halicz-Wlodzinierz Rus .
In 1349 Kazimierz the Great incorporated it into Poland. First castle on these lands on the present day village of Krylos was destroyed in the years of 1350-1352, in the wars with the Wolynian Prince Lubatr. The new castle built in it's present location by the order of the King, it was to be used a s seat of the "Elders", initially it was build of wood.
In 1509 it successfully defended itself against Wolochow. It was burnt down at the end of the XVI century, on it's place a new castle of stone was built. It was sited on a plan of a bent triangle, divided into two parts.
The actual castle was situated on the higher level and as the lower castle was enclosed within stone walls, a wall of earth also enclosed the complete castle, as one part of the castle lead towards the flatter terrain a moat was added to strengthen the fortifications. The defence of the walls was strengthened by an addition of five towers, to the centre of the complex lead three gates.
In the years 1594-1621 the castle defended itself successfully against numerous Tatar attacks.
After it's desecration in 1621 it was extended, but after a few years it again required rebuilding. It wasn't until 1658 that Andrzej Potocki with the helping hand of Franciszek Corazzini from Avinion restored the castle to its former state.
The castle suffered during the times of the Turkish wars, in the year of 1676 it was destroyed, desecrated and stripped of all it's valuables.
In the middle of the XVIII century the castle was already a ruin.
In 1796 the Austrio-Hungarian partitioning powers ordered a partial demolition of the ruins, and instructed an engineer named Heegerstein with this task. The task of destroying the castle was helped by its collapse 1858 the western part of the defence walls and also the on going demolition of the castle for building materials. To the present day the only surviving details of the castle are the remains of the main defence walls, one tower, and the southern side of the Church of St. Catherine, which is linked to the outer defence wall.
© Copyright 2003; Paul Havers