Horodenka

The Coat of Arms of the Austrian period a per pale shield. In the right half there is an Austrian Coat of Arms of Galicia. Under the jackdaw there are three crowns. In the left half you see the emblem of the Potocki's  which was "Pilawa". This Coat of Arms was current until 1939.

Short Description/History

The first mention of the town refers to the XII century. The opinion is that the name of the town comes from the word "gorod" meaning a fortification made of palisade and frames of logs. the town was given the Magdeburg Right in 1688.

 According to the 1921 GUS statistics the town had 1663 inhabitable buildings and 10.054 inhabitants

 

Rusins

5.490

Jews

3.081

Poles

1.621

Germans

12

At a recount in 1931 the number of inhabitable buildings rose to 2.106 and the number of inhabitants increased to 12.505.

In the main park there was a Palace of Prince Lubomirski, in the town there were factories producing sugar. Starosta Potocki built a Parish Church in the XVIII Century (1745 to be exact) and he also build a Orthodox Cerkiew. The church was built of concrete and was built according to the project of Bernard  Meretyn a well known Lwow Architect who also build a Cerkiew Sw. Jura in Lwow. He also contributed to the projected Town Hall in Buczacz which was initiated by Michal Potocki.  The interior of the Church was projected by Jan Jerzy Pinzel who came to Lwow from Austria and who cooperated with Sebastian Fesinger. After the expulsion of Poles in December 1945 the Church and it's interior were totally devastated and the priceless icons were destroyed by the local Ukrainians. In 1990 the Church was totally ruined.

Map of villages within the parish

Village list

Return

Copyright 2003; Paul Havers.