Kolomyja

 

The above Coat of Arms of the Austrian period compromised of gules shield with an eagle's head. Since that time the Coat of Arms didn't change. The exceptions to the rule were; 1862 the eagle with one wing, 1893, 1899, 1906 half of an eagle because of the town's debts.

City's Coats of Arms

 

Short Description/History

City on the Prut River in the Carpathian foothills with an approximate population of 63,000, currently the city is located in the Ukraine. First mentioned in 1240, Kolomyja was a settlement in the Halich-Wolhynian principality. In the 14th century it became part of the Polish Kingdom, who fortified the city.

During the Third Polish Partition of Poland in 1772 Kolomyja became part of Austrio-Hungarian Empire.  

At the end of WWI a short lived Independent Ukraine was proclaimed and the city was part of that newly independent republic. In 1920 the city once again returned to the Polish Republic.

During the Second World War the Soviet Army invaded the Eastern Regions (Kresy) on 17th September 1939, and then the city came under the Soviet occupation and became part of the newly established Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.

Currently the city is a rail junction and agricultural trade centre. Industries include brewing, food processing, woodworking and manufacturing.

 

City Seals

Town Seal from 1899

Town Seal from 1910

Town Seal from 1930

 View's of the Market Place

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

This postcard has been kindly donated by Ronny Roberts, to view those personal web pages click here

Return