The Coat of Arms of the Russian period
First mention of the settlement refers to 1310. Since 1518 the settlement was a town and got the name of Kowel and the Magdeburg Right. On a seal of 1872 there was a picture of the Earth and a cross above it. The Coat of Arms is of the Russian period and it was confirmed on the 20th of July 1852. In the upper part of a per fess shield - the Wolynska CoA; in the lower part in the gules field an argent horseshoe with its studs down and surrounded by the three crosses. The shield is crowned with an argent mauerkrone and topped with three embattlements.
5th Regiment of the Polish Legions entering Kowel in September 1915