In 1411 Sluck was granted the Magdeburg law.

Short Description/History

Sluck was first mentioned in the chronicles of 1116. It was then part of the Turau principality. In 1160 Sluck became the capital of its own principality. From approximately 1320-1330 onwards it belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

From 1395 the city was the centre of an appanage principality belonging to Wladzimir Alherdavic and his successors, the Alelkavic family. The last heiress of the Alelkavic family married Janusz Radziwill and when she died in 1612 the city was given to the Radziwill family.


In the 17th century Sluck was one of the most significant cities in the country. Despite several crises, such as the threat posed by the Crimean Tartars, wars with Russia and internal conflicts, Sluck was a famous trade and manufacturing centre. The city was under the patronage of the Radziwill family.

Several examples illustrate the development of the city. In 1581 a print workshop was opened and in 1617 the Sluck Calvinist grammar school was founded. In the 18th century theatre and ballet schools were founded.

After the second division of the ReczPospolita in 1793, Sluck became part of the Russian empire.

From the 15th to 17th century, Sluck had three castles - the Upper castle, Lower castle and the New castle or Citadel - and many churches including both Catholic and Calvinist, two synagogues, a monastery and a convent. Today, there is almost nothing left of these buildings.

In 1919, the city became part of the Belorussian Socialist Soviet Republic. In November and December 1920 Sluck was the centre of an anti-Bolshevik Uprising. The defenders declared the Sluck region part of the Belarusian People's Republic whose short lived independent republic was declared in 1918 after the collapse of the Russian Empire. The first Belarusian Convention of the Sluck Region was held, a parliament was elected and two regiments of 4000 soldiers were formed, which fought against the Red Army for about two months, before being defeated. The uprising was put down.

In 1920 Sluck became part of the II Polish Republic.



Copyright; Paul Havers