The Coat of Arms of the Austrian period was granted by the Emperor Leopold on the 5th of November 1790. It consists of a picture of an azure field with an argent mural wall with three towers which is faced with the letter "S".
The first mention of the town is in 1158. Sniatyn is named after Konstyn Stroslawicz, a famous commander at the court of Halicz King Jaroslaw. The town was given the Magdeburg Right in 1448.