Gules field an open argent gate with three towers. In the aperture of the gates is the emblem of the Potocki family 'Pilawa'.
Stanislawow was called Zabolota (swampy area)which was a small village, it was originally founded in 1437 according to the first references in chronicles. The city appeared in 1662 between the two Bystrztsja Rivers due to the order by a Polish magnate Andrzej Potocki, who had been the owner of these lands since 1660. He named the city Stanislaw in honour of his son, or rather Stanislawow, which corresponded more to the norms of the Rusin/Polish languages. On March 7, 1662 Stanislawow received the status of a city. On August 14, 1663 the Polish King, Jan Kazimierz, confirmed that status. After Galicia was conquered by the Austro-Hungarian monarchy in 1772 the city’s name began to sound in the German manner - Stanislau; Some historians, such as T. Zelensky and P. Siredzuk claimed that Stanislawow was founded much earlier, as early as 1644. However 1662 has been accepted as the founding year.
The Armenian scholar, Sadok Baronch (1814-1892), who was born in this city, once wrote in his work “Monuments of Stanislawow”, that the initial intention was to set up a military fortress or a road block against Turkish and Tatar invaders. In 1672 the Stanislawow fortress was so strong and well-fortified, that it held back several attacks of large Turkish forces.
The following year after the Armenian refugees came to Stanislawow. Potocki granted the Armenians the right of self-government. They contributed greatly to the economy of the city by manufacturing leather ware. An Armenian Cathedral was erected by them .
There is also is a Greek Catholic Cathedral, dating back to the 17th century, next to Sheptytski Majdan (Square). Semi-detached to the Cathedral are housed the premises of the Stanislawow Medical Academy, it is a former school of Polish Jesuits. Across the square is a large building. Today it is the Art Gallery which served as a Roman Catholic Church. There is an old and abandoned belfry nearby. Approximately at the same time the Town hall appeared right in the centre of the oldest district of the city (the Market place). The stately Town hall served as the Polish Royal Treasury, prison and currently it's the Museum of Regional Studies.
The 17th century saw the initiation of partisan movement against the Polish nobility which was brutally suppressed by the Polish gentry. Many rebels hid high up in the steep cliffs of the Carpathian's with impenetrable forests. The partisan leader, Oleksa Dovbush, was captured by the Poles, taken to jail and later quartered publicly on a scaffold in front of the Town hall. Parts of Oleksa’s body were hung in parts of the region to scare local peasants and quash any future national uprising.
In the 2nd half of the 17th century residents of Stanislawow suffered terribly because of Tatar and Turkish raids. In the beginning of the 18th century they were involved in fighting for control between two Polish warring factions - the adherents of the Polish King August 2nd who backed up by the Russian Tsar, Peter the Great, and supporters of another Polish King Stanislaw Leszczinski who was backed up by Swedish King Karl 12th. The ruler of Stanislawow - Jozef Potocki decided to side with the Swedish king. That resulted in the invasion of the city by the army under the leadership of hetman Senjawski, who together with Russian military units occupied the fortress twice once in 1709 and again in 1712. The city was looted and burned. In 1713 Jozef Potocki reconciled with King August and started to rebuild Stanislawow.
In 1802 the Austrian government bought Stanislawow and ordered the destruction of military ramparts. Today some remnants can still be seen on Nowchorodska Street. In the 1870s Stanislawow was proclaimed a “Free City” and both gates to the city, even as late as 1939 had large signs testifying to this fact.
Stanislawow kept developing despite many fires (1826, 1827 and 1835) and cholera outbreak in 1831. At that time Austrian supervisors, Frantsisk Kratter and Kazimir Milbakher, contributed much by rebuilding houses and organizing medical aid for sick people. Kratter is remembered for building the road through the mountains to the Transcarpathian Region.
During World War I residents of Stanislawow experienced hard times, since Austrians arrested them for collaboration with Russians, and Russians did the same for collaboration with Austrians. Many Stanislawow residents were sent to the concentration camp in Austria, while others were exiled to Siberia. Few people returned safely home from the Russian and Austrian camps.
The Austro-Hungarian monarchy fell in 1918. The short lived West Ukrainian People’s Republic (ZUNR) was proclaimed with the capital Stanislawow from December 1918 till May 1919. Ukrainian troops retreated from invading Polish armed forces who occupied the region.
In 1939 World War II broke out. In accordance with the secret treaty signed by Stalin and Hitler, Poland was divided between the USSR and Nazi Germany. On September 17th 1939, the Red Army entered Stanislawow. On December 4th the city became the centre of the Stanislav Oblast. Soviets started to introduce all kinds of reforms.
In 1941 the new masters the German Fascists changed nothing in the life of the city. They established their “Neue Ordnung” (new order). Yet living conditions for people remained the same, if not worse. The only bright page in the life of Stanislawow was the rather rich repertoire of the Stanislawow. That Theatre was named after Ivan Franko.
Stanislawow Rusin/Ukrainian created the Ukrainian National Self Defence, which turned into the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA). Many of the Stanislawow Ukrainian students became volunteers of the SS Division “Halychyna”. On July 27th 1944 the Soviet Army liberated Stanislawow. Once again Stalin’s repressions came back and many people were exiled to Siberia.
In 1962, to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the city, Stanislawow was renamed Ivano-Frankivsk in honour of the Ukrainian writer, poet, journalist Ivan Franko.
In 1991 after Ukraine gained its independence, Stanislawow is currently the seat of the Town hall, Oblast Administration and City Council.
(By 1931 the Jewish population of the city was nearing 40%)
Horodenka - Parish village map