The Coat of Arms of the Austrio-Hungarian period
The Coat of Arms from the Austrio-Hungarian period was confirmed on the 12th of November 1844. as per pale shield with gules and azure. In the shield there is a picture of a monarch in argent clothes and with rosary beades in his left hand and the staff in his right hand. The origin of the name comes from Indo-European "str" meaning "running water". In 1431 the town was given the Magdeburg Right.
Stryj lying in the plains and lowlands at the south eastern corner of Poland Minor, was the city holding the corridor to the Carpathian Mountains whose summits rise against the distant horizons towards the Hungarian frontier. The River Stryj serves as a diadem to the wide stretching and multi-colored city with it's sembroidery of fields and forests as far as the foothills of the mountains. The river's waters moved the wheels of the mills from which the city used to obtain its flour, and beside which the townsfolk swam in the hot summers. The city lies on crossroads and in the days of the Austrio-Hungary it linked Eastern Galicia with Hungary by the railway line that ran from Lwow(Lemberg) and Lawoczne to Budapest in the south with Stanislawow to the southeast and Prszemysl to the northwest.
There were Jewish communities round and about in all directions, among those were Rozdol, Mikolajow, Zurawno, Sokolow, Zydaczow and Bolechow. Not far away lie Drohobycz, Boryslaw and Schodnica with their oil-wells from which most of the population of these towns made their living.
By the beginning of World War II the population consisted of about 40,000 in roughly equal proportions of Jews, Poles, and Ukrainians. Jews were a vital part of the economy. They handled manufacturing, trade, food supply, clothing, footwear, furniture, building materials, fuel, drapery, haberdashery and the like.
Their handicrafts included harness making, carpentry, tailoring, tinkering, glaziery, house painting, construction, upholstery, furriery, watchmaking, manufacturing of oilcloth, gold and silversmith work, and the handling of all other kinds of metals and skilled mechanics. Jews were some of the finest craftsmen in all branches of handicrafts. Many Jews in the surrounding villages made their living directly or indirectly by agriculture.
Some lived directly from their farms, while others leased vast stretches of land from Polish barons and noblemen who were estate holders, and cultivated them on behalf of the latter. Or else they leased inns in traditional fashion, the leaseholds passing from father to son for generations.