Trebowla

 

The Coat of Arms from the Austrian period represented in a shield an or crescent "Leliva" and three stars over it.

 

The Coat of Arms of the Polish (1920-1939)period represented in a shield or crescent "Leliwa" and three stars over it.

This variant Coat of Arms of the City during the Polish (1920 - 1939) period differed only in the form of a crossbow

Short Description/History 

The beginnings of the town date back to the XI Century, when Red Rus (Ziemia Czerwienska) was inhabited by the tribes of Lechity. It then came under the sphere of Rus Princes. They created in this land a number of Princely Principalities of which were Halicz, Przemyskie, Belskie and Trembowelskie. The naming of the last one indicated that there had to be a town(grod) called Trembowla, being the Capital of the Principality and lying by the river Gnizna close to it's meeting with the river San.

Boleslaw Chrobry made this part of Poland according to his famous trip to Kijow.

Magdeburg Rights to the city were given by Wladyslaw Jagiello in 1389.

The XVI - XVII Centuries were symbolised with the constant attacks by the Tatar and Turkish invaders, in which Trembowla lost majority of it's inhabitants as they fled before the invaders.

Trebowla after the Independence of the Polish State in 1918 had quite a large garrison of troops. Until 1929 the Headquarters and two squadrons of the 9th Ulhans were stationed there, later on in 1929 those barracks were taken over by the KOP (Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza) units.

Currently it is a large city and railway station located on the Gnizna river, Population: approx. 100,000

These are some of the Historic buildings in the city

BASILIAN MONASTERY - 16th century used as a defensive structure. Two towers with battlements and the outer walls of buildings have been preserved. One the most distinctive defensive complexes of Podolia.

CASTLE (ruins) - 1631. Located on an inaccessible mountain overlooking the river, the castle was erected on the site of an ancient 11th century city. The castle walls are 4-5 m thick. In 1675 the castle is defended against the Turks by J.S. Chrzanowskiego. The garrison consists of 200 men.

CARMELITE MONASTERY - 1635- 39 a defensive structure built in the Renaissance-Baroque style.

ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH - 16th-17th cent. Rebuilt in 1734. Used as a defensive structure.

Return